Baby massage is a wonderful skill to learn. It is suitable for babies from birth, usually the best time to start is when you both feel ready, commonly around 6 weeks. This will be different for everyone, there is no right time. Baby Massage is often the first group that parents join with a new baby, and the massage learnt can be taken on throughout childhood.
The course is based on both Indian and Swedish massage techniques, incorporating principles of both yoga and reflexology into the routine. Baby massage is taught slowly, step by step, and the routine is added to each week. It is a new experience for babies and may take a little time for them to enjoy the full routine all at once. By the end of the course you will be able to complete a full massage, as well as learning an additional short routine for colic, wind and constipation. The course includes gentle movements and touch relaxation, which are suggestions to use if your baby is anxious or having difficulty settling. I also cover the best time for massage and oils suitable to use. I provide one complimentary bottle of oil, for use in the class and extra bottles are available to buy at the classes.
Massage is led by your baby, and only started if your baby is willing to receive a massage within the group. If your baby is sleeping when you arrive there is a spare doll to learn the strokes on, while your baby sleeps. You are encouraged to feed and comfort your baby if crying within the class, and the group will carry on. You can observe the techniques on others and not miss out.
Benefits for your baby:
- Helping your baby to feel securely attached
- Helping your baby to feel more loved, valued and respected
- Reduced crying and emotional distress
- Increased levels of relaxation and longer sleep
- Development of body awareness and coordination
- Relief from wind, colic, constipation and teething discomfort
Benefits for the parents:
- Feeling closer to your baby
- Gaining a deeper understanding of your baby’s behaviour, crying and body language
- Providing an enjoyable opportunity for you to spend one-to-one time with your baby
- Feeling the relaxing effects of giving your baby a massage
- Increased confidence in your ability to care for and nurture your baby
- Learning a life-long parenting skill